Wee People uses the Creative Curriculum for Preschool, which is a Maryland State Department of Education approved curriculum. Children are prepared to enter kindergarten ready to learn. The philosophy behind this curriculum is that in the early years, children explore the world around them by using all of their senses. It uses Studies, which children can see, touch, feel, and explore. Through use of this curriculum, we aim to:
- Help children become enthusiastic learners.
- Allow children to learn at their own pace and in ways that are best for them.
- Instill a positive sense of self that will make a difference throughout their lives.
- Focus on the full development of the whole child: spirit, mind & body.
- Social & Emotional Development – helping children feel comfortable, to trust their environment, and gain self confidence. They will use their imaginations in dramatic play, while practicing the skills of problem solving, taking turns, playing cooperatively, and building friendships. They will be taught empathy and respect for all people.
- Physical Development – help children increase their large and small motor skills.
- Cognitive Development – help children become confident learners by letting them tryout their own ideas and experience success.
The Curriculum focuses on school readiness: literacy, math, science & social-emotional skills, which includes:
- Reading – name recognition, vocabulary, letter sounds, word families, reading/being read to, book awareness, etc.
- Writing – letter shapes, spacing, upper and lowercase, punctuation, etc.
- Math – numbers, counting, grouping, addition, subtraction, math facts, etc. They will master verbally counting to 30 (some to 100, and by 5’s and 10’s). Most count with one to one correspondence to at least 20. They will learn their numbers, and engage in grouping, classifying, addition, and subtraction. They learn opposites, differences, big versus small, under versus over, etc.
- Arts & Humanities – process oriented arts, painting, crafts, etc. Singing, music and movement, etc.
- Science & Technology – They will learn the scientific method simplified, and engage in numerous science experiments. Skills practiced include observation, scientific thinking and experimentation. Life experiences with nature and living things through our gardens, pets, chickens, a butterfly room, insects, and more. Children have timed opportunities to play Starfall or ABC Mouse on the ipad or computer.
- Fine motor skills: cutting, gluing, games, counting, manipulatives, etc.
- The basics: colors, shapes, ABC’s, phonics, days of the week, months of the year, weather, and seasons.
Children learn through exploration with a balance of free play and organized activities.
Mr Rodgers said:
“ Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.”
Please note this is a home, as well as a daycare. Prospective parents must have an appointment for an interview. Thank you!
License # 159207